Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Out West - Mt. Rushmore

You guessed it, and I am still in South Dakota. Mt. Rushmore is only 17 miles away from the Crazy Horse Monunment according to my research. I told you I probably wouldn't have to move the camper. Of course, this monument features four great presidents of our country: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, and Abraham Lincoln. Most of you guys knew who they were already. I decided to name them for those who didn't know. This is the world's largest mountain carving and began in 1927. This carving was completed in 14 years. Wonder why it is taking so long for Crazy Horse? Crazy Horse was started in 1948 and not completed yet, mmmm... Well anywho, they both are waiting for me. Enjoy this picture from the "Mt. Rushmore Attractions".

2 comments:

  1. As I look at this picture, I think about the artists who worked tirelessly to create such work of art in honor of these distinguish presidents. I have shown my students a picture of this monument. The first thing they ask is who they are? I show them a poster of all the presidents up to George W. Bush. They study the faces and eventually figure out who they are and their names. They get very excited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great location, when I saw the picture my mind went to a movie ....it stared Dennis Cage, it is about lost treasures. I am not sure if the monument was actually in a movie. Lastly, I think that the time line is an interesting point I wonder why, with the advancement in technology.

    ReplyDelete